· 20 hours/week for about 18 weeks
Position open until filled
The Director will lead the Brookings School District Foundation in increasing our community impact consistent with the mission and vision of the organization through strong, meaningful and long-term relationships across the District and the Community with residents, business and other community organizations. The Director will serve two primary roles:
- Serve as the “Face of the Foundation” with all key constituents within the District, the Community and beyond to promote and support the Foundation’s mission
- Have a significant impact on the Foundation’s fundraising initiatives to broaden and deepen the Foundation’s support of the Brookings School District
The Director position will report to the Foundation Board and will work closely with district administration.
In addition, the Foundation Director will oversee Foundation Staff positions which are envisioned to emerge and expand over time.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: 60% “Face of the Foundation”
- Represent the Foundation, within and external to, the school district and the community developing positive public relations and ongoing community support
- Create and execute on a three- to five-year plan including incremental goals to deliver on the mission and vision of the foundation for review, approval, and oversight by the Foundation Board
- Creation of- and participation in key Foundation committees including Marketing, Teacher Grants, Development and Endowment Projects
- Strong leadership in key Foundation activities and special events
- Lead the yearly process to create the application for- and identify scholarship recipients from the Brookings High School senior class
- Organize yearly scholarship event for Brookings High School graduates
- Provide leadership of the strategic and operational planning processes of the Foundation
- Foster engagement, influence, and agreement in materials and activities developed and implemented that promote and enhance the organization’s brand awareness
- Present quarterly reports regarding annual operating and financial plan initiatives and status of committees
- Participate in community organizations to help ensure the role and mission of the Foundation within the District
- Maintain active and strong relationships with District staff to ensure strong and aligned priorities with the School District
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: 40% Fundraising
SCHOLARSHIPS, ENDOWMENT, & TEACHER GRANT PROGRAM
- Establish a plan to significantly expand the fundraising potential of the organization that will begin to financially sustain the director position by the end of the first year.
- Increase the Foundation’s fundraising results by executing on 4 to 6 specific (and new) fundraising strategies over next two to three years.
- Cultivate relationships to generate multi-year giving options and results for donors
- Responsible for donor records, recognitions, controls and documentation.
- Establish and oversee partnership with the Brookings School District to align fundraising potential to serve District priorities.
- Evaluate, recommend and execute as appropriate on grant writing as a source of funding
- Cultivate existing and new donor relationships for annual improvement in both the number of donors and amounts pledged
The Brookings School District Foundation Director role is expected to be a part time position of approximately 20 hours per week for about 18 weeks. This position does not provide medical or dental insurance.
Hours are flexible, but regular office hours are required, and some evening work is necessary.
- Five or more years in leadership roles and a record of success in public relations and/or fundraising
- Five or more years of non-profit organizational management including strategic planning, board relations, and operating/financial management
- Evidence of excellence in oral and written communication skills
- Proven leadership skills to articulate and achieve a vision and to set both short and long range goals
- Personable and mature work style as well as professional appearance and demeanor
- Self-motivated and comfortable working independently
- Enjoys being creative and innovative while also conscientious to details, accurate records, professionalism and the ability to handle sensitive donor and community relationships
Bachelors degree required in combination with relevant professional experience.