Status: Part-time position; approximately 20 hours per week; hours flexible but regular office hours required; evening hours as necessary.
Reports to: Brookings School District Foundation Board of Directors
Works closely with: Brookings School District Administration
MISSION: Working together as a community, we support students and teachers in the Brookings School District by generating funds to promote excellence in education and inspire lifelong learning.
The Director will lead the Brookings School District (BSD) Foundation in building relationships with key constituents and increasing community impact while supporting and promoting the mission of the organization. The Director will serve these primary roles:
- Serve as BSD Foundation’s chief representative to enhance visibility and build strong, meaningful, long-term relationships across the district as well as with BSD alumni and community residents, businesses, and organizations. This includes participation in high profile community activities, speaking engagements, and social events that align with the mission.
- Create and oversee fundraising initiatives to broaden and deepen the Foundation’s support of BSD.
- Oversee BSD Foundation Staff positions which are envisioned to emerge and expand over time.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
Executive Leadership Funtions
- Represent the BSD Foundation, within and external to, the school district and the community developing positive public relations and ongoing community support
- Provide leadership of the strategic and operational planning process in accordance with the organization’s mission and vision
- Create and/or participate in BSD Foundation committees including but not limited to Marketing, Teacher Grants, Development, and Endowment Projects
- Provide planning and strong leadership in BSD Foundation activities and special events
- Participate in community organizations to leverage the role and mission of the BSD Foundation within the District
- Build and maintain active, strong relationships with district staff to ensure priorities with BSD are aligned.
- Cultivate new and steward existing relationships to generate multi-year giving and annual improvement in both number of donors and amounts pledged
- Establish a plan to significantly expand fundraising of the organization that will begin to financially sustain the director position by the end of the first year
- Increase fundraising results by executing on the strategic plan
- Oversee and execute all donor records, recognitions, controls, and documentation
- Execute on the goals and deliverables of the strategic plan for review, approval, and oversight by the Foundation Board
- Lead the yearly process to create the application for and identify scholarship recipients from the Brookings High School senior class
- Organize and implement yearly scholarship event for Brookings High School graduates
- Foster engagement, influence, and agreement in materials and activities developed and implemented that promote and enhance the organization’s brand awareness
- Present quarterly reports regarding annual operating and financial plan initiatives and status of committees
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality while handling sensitive donor information and professional relationships
- Bachelor’s degree required in combination with relevant professional experience
- Demonstrated experience in leadership roles and a record of success in public relations and/or fundraising preferred
- Experience in non-profit organizational management including strategic planning, board relations, and operating/financial management preferred
- Demonstrated success working independently
- Evidence of excellence in oral and written communication skills
- Proven communication and leadership skills to articulate and achieve a vision and to set both short and long-term goals
- Ability to be creative and innovative while also conscientious to details, accurate records, and professionalism
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter, resume and three professional references to
BSD Foundation President, Derrick Powers
This position is open until filled. EOE
BSD Foundation is committed to a diverse workplace and offers a competitive wage. This part-time position does not provide medical or dental insurance.